Can't afford an elaborate summer vacay? Unable to get away from the demands of the job for a week at a time? No problem! Forget the expensive airfare and opt for a weekend road trip or fun filled local Airbnb getaway.
Many of us grew up believing that the traditional 7-14 day summer vacation was the best option for family fun or couples romance. But times have changed.
Unfortunately, the joy of a summer vacation has become elusive to many Americans. A study found that U.S. workers forfeited $52.4 billion in time-off benefits and took less vacation time than at any point in the past four decades.
But a vacation in the form of a weekend road trip or becoming immersed in a local getaway at an Airbnb property is a stellar option. In fact, 67% of US travelers planned weekend-getaways for their summer vacation.
Here are 5 reasons why you should plan a weekend trip and join these millions of Americans.
1. Peace of Mind. Weekend trips are like mini-vacations that allow you to clear your mind…as long as you leave your laptop behind. As you may know first-hand, getting away from work or a routine at home is a tried and true remedy for stress relief and mental rejuvenation. Enjoying a new environment with an Airbnb accommodation delivers a breath of fresh air.
2. Practicality. Weekend road trips are more realistic. When several people are involved, it is easier to schedule a shorter time away like a long weekend. These days, our hectic lifestyles often make scheduling vacations difficult. Frequently, both parents work and are unable to get the same dates off at work. Children are involved in different activities with conflicting schedules. In other words, the challenges of getting away for long stretches can be particularly difficult.
3. Economical. Getting away for just a couple of days is a more frugal option when you’re on a budget…after all, you’ll only need to pay for a couple of nights at a camp ground or splurge at a sheik five star hotel or search out the exact location for a mini-getaway with the help of Airbnb.
4. Local Discoveries. A weekend getaway is usually considered to be a 3 hour road trip or 1 hour plane ride since time is limited. In America, the car is still the ultimate symbol of freedom, empowering us to shift our daily routines out of idle and “go anywhere,” as long as we make peace with the traffic report before we go. And exploring nearby restaurants and attractions can be loads of fun, both in the planning and actual getaway. The best weekend getaway locations offer at least one or two marquee attractions like world-class museums or amusement parks or concert venue or great food or outdoor activities. So do a little research before choosing your weekend destination. To get the full effect of a road trip to a local community, throw yourself into the culture and stay at an Airbnb. You’ll enjoy a more intense experience and feel more like a resident than a visitor wherever you travel.
5. Options for Accommodations. Unlike a long vacation, there are a greater array of options when planning for only two or three nights away. One of the best resources to determine the best lodging for a weekend road trip is Airbnb.
Infinite Airbnb Options
Don’t think of Airbnb only as an option for week long adventures or overseas journeys. With over 1,500,000 listings in 34,000 cities, there is likely a drivable weekend road trip to a location where the perfect Airbnb property awaits you.
Airbnb has an outstanding website that allows you to narrow down your choices when looking for a place to stay with superior search filters. You can search by:
• Destination of your road trip
• Number of travelers, whether you will be traveling just yourself to find some quiet and solace or taking along the entire family
• Preferred dates for your road trip
• Room type
• Price parameters, using a sliding scale
• Size of the accommodations
• Property type (even treehouses and igloos are available)
And once the housing decision is made, Airbnb’s unique accommodations can be secured conveniently, on-line or from a mobile phone or tablet.
Go For It
This year, consider taking shorter trips throughout the year instead of only one long vacation Sprinkle in spontaneous weekend getaways and road trips into your schedule and you will be surprised how much you can enjoy a weekend in a different locale.
Taking a 42-hour vacation can be easily tailored to your interests, from cultural escapes, historical landmarks and outdoor adventures. Don’t hesitate to jump in your can and embark on a memorable weekend getaway.
And when you arrive at your destination, use the expertise of Airbnb to reserve your accommodations. You’ll be happily surprised at how far you can go in just three hours and how special a road trip can be.