How Do I Get There?
The old joke is that “men hate to ask for directions.” But now, a new study claims there might actually be some truth behind this invasive action.
In a paper published in the Leadership Quarterly, researchers revealed that the reason the majority of men have an aversion to asking for directions is that they believe they are judged harshly for it. “Lost men” who ask for help are seen as being less competent, this investigation claims.
“Men don’t ask for directions because they’re concerned they’re going to look bad,” stated one of the study’s authors from the prestigious Rosette College at Duke University.
But now males of all ages and in fact, each one of us, possesses a simple method for assuring we don’t drift off course in our travels.
In the palm of our hands, we hold a Smartphone which is typically equipped with GPS. GPS, or global positioning satellite, is a satellite-based navigation system used to give exact location and time information anywhere on Earth.
When you purchase a cell phone from T-Mobile, regardless whether it is IOS or Android, your mobile device is almost always GPS enabled.
This feature provides built-in receivers that combine GPS accuracy with cell and Wi-Fi signals to allow for a precise location. With this technology, you are guaranteed to always be on the correct path to your destination. And with T-Mobile navigation assistance, cellular devices can also locate places of interest, view locations at street level and also observe satellite views.
Built-in direction systems have a multitude of other valuable advantages:
• Embedded GPS programs provide real-time, turn-by-turn spoken directions with street names
• Smartphone navigation apps receive free, automatic updates, which means the latest maps and databases will always be available on the phone
• Most Smartphone users take their electronic gadgets with them, which means they will always have a navigation tool on-hand
• Smartphones are designed to be easily held in one hand, so they are often the preferred choice for navigation while walking, hiking or biking, and not just for driving
• If you travel consistently, a mobile device with direction-finding capabilities is essential
• It is relatively simple for anyone to enter a destination address on a Smartphone
• Most mobile phones have the capability to look up a contact in the phone’s address book and then navigate to that address without any additional typing
• And for big city dwellers, many smartphone apps provide free, real-time traffic data, allowing employees to take control of their commute
But any GPS system is only useful if you are on a network that allows consistent reception, even in remote locations. Verizon designs, builds and operates global wireless networks. Their engineers are constantly exploring the next-generation wireless network to increase coverage and capacity.
Now, no one, not even the most stubborn man, has to appear weak or foolish by getting lost or confused on their journey. A Smartphone plus GPS properties plus a powerful nationwide network provides a simple solution for confidence in navigation.